HOLLAND: Muslims to block Dutch film sequel
Dutch Muslims irate over plans for a sequel to controversial filmaker Theo van Gogh's film
The Straits Times
Saturday, December 4, 2004
A Muslim group in the Netherlands says it is preparing a lawsuit to block a lawmaker from making a sequel to Submission, the controversial movie whose director was killed last month.
Ms Ayaan Hirsi Ali, a member of the Liberal party VVD, has been in hiding since Mr Theo van Gogh was killed on Nov 2, allegedly by an Islamic radical.
A letter pinned to his chest with a knife included a threat against the right-wing lawmaker.
On Monday, she announced plans for a sequel and vowed to continue fighting for the emancipation of Muslim women.
Submission, aired on Dutch TV in August, criticised how women were treated under Islam and was considered insulting by many Dutch Muslims.
It showed near-naked Muslim women in headscarves with verses from the Quran written on their bodies. They told stories of abuse and rape by relatives.
The Muslim group said through its attorney on Thursday that it had filed a suit "against Hirsi Ali in response to her plans to make a second film, called Submission 2."
"The suit will also seek to prevent Hirsi Ali from making unnecessarily hurtful or offensive remarks...against Islam," it said, accusing the woman of labelling Islam dangerous 'without differentiating Islam from radical Islam."
Ms Hirsi Ali said she would respond once the lawsuit had been filed.
Date Posted: 12/4/2004