MALAYSIA: Anti-graft agency denies Anwar's no-show claim
ACA office says ex-DPM Datuk Anwar is the one responsible for delivering video clip to ACA headquarters
The Straits Times
Saturday, October 27, 2007
By Hazlin Hassan
KUALA LUMPUR - Malaysia's anti-graft agency has denied a no-show on its part, saying that opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim was supposed to turn up at its offices with a controversial video clip.
The video, publicly released by the ex-deputy prime minister last month, has fuelled a debate on corruption and abuse of power in the judiciary, as it purportedly showed a senior lawyer brokering the appointment of judges.
Datuk Seri Anwar had waited in his office on Thursday for Anti-Corruption Agency (ACA) officers to collect an extended copy of the video but said the officers had cancelled the meeting at the last minute.
But in a statement to the Bernama news agency, the ACA said the onus was on him to deliver it to the agency's headquarters in Putrajaya.
If he failed to do so, he could be fined up to RM10,000 (S$4,300) or jailed for up to two years.
Datuk Seri Anwar has accused the agency of delaying a proper probe into the issue of judicial corruption by diverting public attention towards uncovering the whistle-blower.
But the ACA denied that its action to obtain the recording was politically motivated.
It is unclear what will happen next.
Datuk Seri Anwar told reporters on Thursday: 'This is like a Bollywood movie, there are segments and suspense.'
Yesterday, he challenged the notice from the ACA which sought to compel him to hand in the original 14-minute clip instead of the eight-minute clip that he had made public.
In his affidavit filed in the Kuala Lumpur High Court, Datuk Seri Anwar wanted the ACA notice to be set aside as he claimed that the notice was 'bad in law and a nullity', Internet news portal Malaysiakini reported.
'Since the order has no legal basis for its issuance, I believe it is politically motivated,' Datuk Seri Anwar added.
An aide to the politician said there was no decision yesterday on whether Datuk Seri Anwar would take the clip to ACA.
Umno MP and lawyer Zaid Ibrahim has called for a Royal Commission of Inquiry, which has the power to subpoena witnesses and evidence.
Malaysiakini quoted Datuk Zaid as saying: 'I'm puzzled as to why this issue has taken such a twist. He (Anwar) is not even a factor, they should not harass him.
'We need to look into this issue seriously because the state of our judiciary warrants a thorough investigation.'
Date Posted: 10/27/2007